Pediatric Eye Doctor & Eye Care
Pediatric and childhood eye services are available at Bergstrom Eye and Laser Clinic. It is important to have children examined periodically starting at a few months of age.
Pediatric and Childhood Vision Issues Include:
- Strabismus—a misalignment of eyes, also called cross-eyes.
- Ptosis—drooping of the upper eyelid for one or both eyes.
- Amblyopia—poor vision in an eye that did not develop normal sight during early childhood.
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
What is Strabismus?
Strabismus is a common condition among children. It is a visual disorder where the eyes are misaligned and point in different directions. Sometimes, only one eye is affected — turning inward (esotropia), outward (exotropia) or downward, while the other eye is directed straight ahead. If not treated, can lead to amblyopia and eventually result in a permanent visual loss in the affected eye.
What is Ptosis?
Ptosis is a drooping of the upper eyelid. The lid may droop only slightly, or it may cover the pupil entirely. In some cases, ptosis can restrict and even block normal vision. It can be present in children as well as adults and may be treated with surgery. Ptosis can: affect one or both eyes, be inherited, be present at birth or occur later in life. Untreated it can lead to amblyopia.
What is Amblyopia?
When one eye develops good vision while the other does not, the eye with poor vision is called amblyopic. Usually, only one eye is affected by amblyopia, but it is possible for both eyes to be “lazy.” The condition is common, affecting approximately two or three out of every 100 people. The best time to correct amblyopia is during infancy or early childhood. If amblyopia is not treated early in childhood, it persists throughout life and may lead to permanent vision loss.
Dr. Bergstrom can use a variety of tests to help identify early childhood eye disorders.
Why Choose Dr Bergstrom
- Experience performing eye surgeries since 1992.
- A proven track record of over 20,000 eye surgeries and procedures.
- Our friendly staff has over 200 years of eye care experience.
- We take most medical insurances including flex spending accounts.
- Fellow at the American College of Surgeons
- Diplomat of the American Board of Ophthalmology
BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
At Bergstrom Eye and Laser Clinic, our goal is to provide the highest quality of care in a compassionate and ethical manner. We believe that vision is one of our most precious gifts.